I just finished my Windows 10 IoT SD-Formatter tool. The idea behind this is to simplify the process of formatting an SD card by using the dism.exe tools, to be able to install the current Windows 10 Preview Images on a SD card. All you have to do is to follow the 3 very easy steps, once you have downloaded the Tool.
Disclaimer: The tool is for experimental use only, and not for productive environments. Microsoft, Windows and other corresponding products are trademarks and owned and copyrighted by Microsoft Corporation.
Windows 10 IoT – SD Formatter – v1.0
Download To be able to use the tool you need:
- Installed Microsoft .NET Framework (get it here)
- Windows 10 Preview (virtual or physical machine), register and download the image here.
After the download simply extract the .zip to your local disk, and follow these steps:
- Insert your SD-card and select the corresponding drive letter:
- Click “Select Folder” and select the folder, where you have downloaded and extracted the Windows 10 IoT Preview image. There should be a *.ffu file in it. The tool will inform you, if you have selected a wrong folder.
- Finally, if you are sure you have the correct drive and previewimage-folder selected click the button “Format your SD Card” to start the formatting of your SD card and copying the Windows 10 IoT files on it. WAIT until the complete process has finished.
- You are done! Now insert the SD card into your Raspberry Pi and let Windows finish it’s installation and setup process.
Let me know what do you think about the tool in the comments below and please inform me about any bugs you stumble upon. Thank you for your support.